Saturday, April 24, 2010

breath of fresh air

Mr. L and I were supposed to go for our morning run today but a particular somebody (who shall remain nameless) decided to sleep in.   Okay fine.  T'was me.  I was tired, and I think I had a restless sleep and my fatigued legs just wanted to...not run...a little more.   In any case, as "punishment" we forced ourselves to go for a night run after we came home from our AQ courses.

I should be more clear; Mr. L called it "punishment".  I on the other hand find night runs a delight.  There's something very comforting about running in the cloak of darkness (perchance I was a thieving vagrant in a previous life).  I'm afforded the luxury of not having to worry about sharing the sidewalk with pedestrians, free from their stink-eye attacks as I sidle past them.  It's just me, the store fronts, the occasional headlights of cars whizzing past, and the concrete beneath me feet.  The cool night breeze slaps my face every now and again and urges me to keep going, to keep pushing forward, to make it to that bridge.

The bridge I'm referring to is the one located on the Danforth overlooking the Don Valley Parkway, and is another reason I enjoy my night runs.  There's something very calming about peering over the bridge and seeing the parade of lights ess down the Parkway, feeling the rumble of the bridge as the train passes beneath.

On that note, adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers